One of the best things about my job is that I get to see people’s reactions as they finally “get” history. Being able to explain things simple can be very difficult, especially when someone isn’t familiar with American history. When they understand events and connect them to today’s events? That is the best. (So are the high fives from kids, those are great).
One of the worst things about my job is that I work for the government so I am technically out of work right now. A week ago yesterday, we put up closed signs, set up our “out of office” messages, and said goodbye to each other until the New Year. We have been through this 3 times this year, 5 times since I’ve started working for the government. Last time it went passed a day, I was angry and frustrated…this time, I’ve tried to stay busy.
So far, I’ve finished four different projects that have been languishing around my house (some for over a year). I have at least two quilts to put together and maybe one to dismantle and put back together in a different way. Since there is no end in sight, it might all get taken care of.
So, try as I might…I cannot read a pattern to save my life. I generally end up tap dancing my way through the pattern pieces because they aren’t as explicit as I would like them. The photos/drawings usually suck, too. I have most of the Regency dress finished. HOWEVER, that does not mean that I did it correctly! haha.
So this is supposed to be my bodice. I cut it about two sizes too big, because the pattern said to do so! haha…so I had to get my mom to help me and show me how to put in darts. The darts are now up at the shoulders so they aren’t too obvious. There is also supposed to be a cord going through the bodice where it meets the skirt, but I totally didn’t understand that. Oh well.
I decided that I was going to try and create a quilt last year…and I knew it would take me a while. I didn’t think it would be this slow, though! 🙂
Cutting took the most work…but once that was over, it was just a matter of piecing together the top and adding the border.
Now, I am just waiting for my batting to arrive so that I can put the top, batting, and backing together and get this done! Its going to go on the full bed but I think my next quilt will be smaller…this seems so much bigger than it actually is.
The boy has decided to get a bit more serious about this whole brewing beer thing, so much so that we are now the proud owners of two very large buckets and a hydrometer. It is all very exciting.
Last night, we capped 42 bottles of a Boston Ale Clone that has been stewing under my sink for the last week and a half or so. It was quite a process.
The beer smelt a lot more like the real thing this time, as opposed to when we made a Pale Ale with a Mr. Beer kit. It also looked a lot more like the beer I’m used to seeing. Darker, smellier…and the yeast at the bottom was even grosser. Green, yuck.
Now, we wait at least 2 weeks if not 4 and hope that we didn’t add any ugly contamination into the process. I doubt we did, but apparently yeasts are tricky things. Next on the list of things to brew is hard cider! I don’t drink beer, prefer the sweetness of cider…so we just have to find someplace that has cider since we have all the rest of the important ingredients already.
Anxiously awaiting 3:13 PM when I can register for classes for next semester. Here are some photos to tide you over: